Sometimes people ask how I keep up with events in the digital security world. Here's how.
When possible, I add resources to my Bloglines account and monitor that site for news.
NewsgroupsI visit these newsgroups regularly:
- Snort-users, Snort-devel, Snort-sigs and Emerging-sigs (previously Bleeding-sigs)
- Sguil-users and Sguil-devel
- Barnyard-user and Barnyard-devel
- Der Keiler groups, especially Focus-IDS and many at unix.derkeiler.com
- FreeBSD list archives
- Argus list archive
- Cisco-NSP list archive (also at Gmane.org)
- Comp.dcom.sys.cisco archive (older posts available through Google)
- FreeSBIE list archive
- Bro-IDS list at gmane.org or Berkeley
- Flow-tools archive
- Tcpdump-workers and NTAR-workers
- Winpcap-users and pre-May 2005 archive
- Miredo list archive
- Log analysis and pre-March 2007 archive
- Soekris mailing list
- NANOG list
- Daily Dave
- Ivan Voras "What's Cooking for FreeBSD X?"
I idle in the #snort-gui channel on Freenode.